Have you heard of extreme examples of generosity such as one friend donating a healthy kidney to another? Sacrifice is when one person gives up something of value to achieve a greater good or goal. Lifestyle stewardship is giving at a level that touches one’s life. The journey into lifestyle stewardship requires a reassessment of lifestyle, a reordering of priorities, and a reallocation of resources. The perfect example of lifestyle stewardship is Jesus.
Reassessment of Lifestyle
- This is not about judging lifestyles; it is about recognizing that our lifestyles can consume a vast portion of our resources.
- Name some factors that encourage a consumptive lifestyle.
- Discuss: We spend our money based on our priorities.
- How can tracking our expenses reveal where we are spending our lives?
- How can we align our expenditures with our true spiritual values?
- Recall some occasions when you reduced spending in one area to invest more in another area that became more important to you.
- What are some ways we might reduce spending in one area to give more to another?
The Perfect Model Of Lifestyle Stewardship: Philippians 2:5-8
- Jesus assessed His lifestyle: “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in the very nature of God did not consider equality with God something to be grasped.”
- Jesus ordered His priorities: “But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross!”
- Jesus allocated His resources: “though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9
- Christianity was birthed in the sacrifice of Jesus.
- Christ calls us to a lifestyle that allows us to invest in greater good and higher values.
- To deny oneself in order to benefit others is to follow the example of Christ.
- To give to godly causes is to partner with God in the family business.
- To faithfully manage God’s entrusted resources is to fulfill the first job God gave to us — stewardship.
- Are you aware of greater causes in which you would like to invest your life by giving?
- Can you identify expenditures in your lifestyle that could be reordered so you could give to those higher causes?
- Have you ever adjusted your lifestyle and priorities in order to give to something you strongly believed in?
- Can you find ways to “let this mind (attitude) be in you which was in Christ Jesus”?
© Generis Adult Study Guides for Lifestyle Stewardship Curriculum. All Rights Reserved. All scripture references are the New International Version unless otherwise stated.